• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Dancing in the rain

      Friday 13th May
      (I won't be walking under any ladders today!?!!?)

      Crocheted flower brooch from Amy
      A creative being... what a lovely phrase and one that many of us who follow crochet blogs will be familiar with, it is the name of the very popular blog that used to be written by Marinke, or as she preferred to be called Wink.  Wink was a source of inspiration and was always happy to communicate and talk about all things creative but especially crochet.  She also suffered from depression.  Her last post on her blog back in June explained to us all that she was in a very dark place and that crochet was literally saving her life but she was not in a position to continue blogging but hoped to return 'sporadically'.  It was not meant to be as a couple of weeks later the depression took hold and her life ended.  

      Why do I write about her now?

      She touched many lives in this blogging family we belong to and the strange thing is and I am sure you are aware yourself but when you follow a blog you are allowed into someone's life and we touch each other, initially as strangers but this online community grows and flourishes.  The week after she died many many of us all over the world wore flowers in our hair to remember her.  I thought it a
      fitting tribute to wear flowers that our wonderful host of Five on Friday, Amy made for me.  It was a beautiful crochet flower brooch that I transformed for the day into a hair slide.  Flowers from one blogger to another worn in memory of a fellow blogger too.

      Back to why I am writing about Wink today.  Again all over the world and we believe there are over 35 000 people (men and women) who are making a crochet blanket in her memory.  She was a highly skilled published crochet designer who was in the middle of completing her second crochet a long (CAL) for the Dutch yarn company Schjeepes.   After her death her family and friends along with the yarn company decided to finished the design of the CAL aided by her notes and what her friends thought she would like and 12 individual squares form the basis of a 48 square blanket, called Last Dance on the Beach.  There are three colour options each with their own special beach name: Last dance in the sea, Last dance in the rain and Last dance under the stars.  Despite having more on my plate than is healthy I could not resist joining in with this CAL and being a part of a community coming together to acknowledge that life is tough and some of us struggle on a day to day basis, but that there is hope and love out there.

      A link to Wink's blog and where her sister updates the latest on the CAL and this week the feature of a Belgium newspaper writing all about the CAL:  A creative being
       

      So my five today must be all about Wink's CAL:



      The beginning:

      Colours for the basic kit were as follows, I could not entertain the more expensive merino wool option as much as I was tempted...



      Each kit that is sold gives two Euros to the organisation  MIND, whose strap line is "We won't give up until everyone experiencing a mental health problem gets both support and respect."

      For more information about the kits available:  Last Dance on the Beach

      The kit arrives in a smart box


      With a little about the background of the CAL and about Marinke


      I chose the Last Dance in the Rain


      First we had to make up a swatch gauge,
      I confess to never quite completing it


      Week 1:

      Eagerly awaiting the first week, we had to wait till the Wednesday and from here on in each Wednesday becomes a fizz of excitement to see what is in store for that week.  The new pattern is released on line,  the full written instructions how to make the square.  Each week four squares of the same pattern need to be made.  Ester, one of the designers from the CAL has also at great time consumption produced a video each week to show how to make the square.  I admit these have been a real god send as I may have struggled otherwise and her voice is so very soothing and calming. 

      Pop corn stitch, was really fun to do
      and relatively quick to make


      Checking the size as each square needs to be the same



      Week 2:

      Having used star stitch before I thought I would have no trouble in week 2, how wrong I was.  I had to keep frogging as I could not make the gauge correct and in the end had to increase hook size by 2 sizes.  I was not alone in needing to do this and eventually I was really thrilled with these four squares.
      Star stitch


      Week 3:

      After the phaff of week 2, I confess to being a tad nervous for week 3, but I need not have worried.  The sun and waves on these squares proved to be fun to crochet and having not crocheted into front post for some time nor making what looks like cables made me feel I was learning as I was crocheting.   Loved this week.


      Week 4:

      As with Week 2, this week has proved a bit of a challenge and some frogging and muttering has taken place, three are so far completed two days post being issued on line and I intend to complete the last one today.  My sizing leaves a little to be desired but as I have yet to block all the squares, I am hoping my mistakes will be erased away so to speak.

      Waves on the gravel in the drive,
      made me think of waves on a stone beach...
       
       
       The four different designs so far:
       
       

       
      Hope you have enjoyed seeing my latest crochet and if you are tempted, it is never to late to join in, the patterns will stay up on the website and Ester's marvellous videos will be there to guide you.
       
      Joining in with Amy sharing five moments from the CAL with you,
      do pop over and see what others are sharing.

       
        Hoping that all is well with you  

      42 comments:

      1. Such a wonderful tribute and quite fitting that you wore the flowers Amy had made. Gone but not forgotten and hopeful that her death will help others. Take care.

        ReplyDelete
      2. I wish I could crochet! That wavy square is wonderful.
        The blanket is a great way to remember someone, and I'm pleased that MIND will receive benefit from it. It's a cause I support.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I think as the years progress and we live in an ever faster society that demands immediate responses charities such as MIND will be more needed. @historyanorack

          Delete
      3. I couldn't think of a more fitting way to remember her. The squares are looking great. I especially love the star stitch. Can't wait to see the finished blanket. X

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks Jules I'm enjoying it and thinking of friends and loved ones who lost their battle or who are struggling in in this world.

          Delete
      4. Reading this has made me emotional as I didn't know about Wink since I haven't been crocheting long and didn't hear through crocheting circles. At the same time this blog post with the info about the special crochet kit which will benefit MIND is a beautiful tribute to her. Thank you for showing us your WIP. I like the way you've photographed the squares with the pretty stitches. The pattern for the blanket is beautiful. I've learnt a new knitting and crocheting term - frogging. Hope there will be less of that as you continue with your chosen kit!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I didn't mean to make you emotional Linda although I confess to being very emotional myself at the moment. Your comment made me well up x

          Delete
      5. Crochet is so therapeutic, the blankets are such a good thing to make in her memory. Your squares are looking great. Keep it up!! x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks Karen. It really is therapeutic Sending love x

          Delete
      6. Very touching. The depression is a terrible disease.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. It is Riita and I don't know if it's on the increase or we are just more aware of it. I suspect both.

          Delete
      7. It is good to meet a fellow blogger making this blanket in loving memory of Marinke. I too am greatly enjoying the experience and being able to crochet new designs. I too chose the 'rain' colourway in Colour Crafter although was greatly tempted to order the 'sea' version as well, luckily for my bank balance it was out of stock at the time of ordering. Looking forward to seeing your progress. xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ha! That resonates Jan. I could easily have bought mother kit. I'm thinking to maybe make another but there are so many things crying out to be made so j thinking need to put it out of my mind. I too shall enjoy watching your progress

          Delete
      8. What a beautiful, touching post

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Sharon. Enjoyed your IoW trip today too

          Delete
      9. What a sad story and how good that the packs are being sold in her memory and the money going to such a good charity. The designes look wonderful:)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. She was much loved and respected by family, friends and strangers but for whatever reason she as many others Gould not fight away the demons. It is very sad indeed. But this is a wonderful tribute in her name and I'm glad to be a smallp art of it and sharing her story Rosie x

          Delete
      10. I am so very sorry to hear that. How many suffer without anyone at all knowing about it until it is too late. You have written a wonderful tribute to your friend.

        ReplyDelete
      11. Hi Selma, this is such a touching post you have written about Marinke. I discovered her wonderful blog two years ago when I was in Istanbul; and I found out about her parting last year when I was in Istanbul. But, her creativity lives on in her creations. Your blanket is absolutely beautiful and I'm sure it will mean very much to you as you cherish it throughout the years. Hugs to you, Pat

        ReplyDelete
      12. What a perfect tribute. I've struggled with depression in the past and it always makes me very sad when it overwhelms someone. I hope that talking about it brings is out of the dark and under the light where it shrinks. Your work is beautiful and a lovely contribution to the project.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. So many suffer Jen and I'm sorry to hear that you do too. Sending virtual hugs to you. I think you are amazing and live what you do with such style and aplomb. Here is you ever need to talk to a virtual friend x

          Delete
      13. Such a lovely post reminding us of Wink and bringing the issue of mental health to the fore. Thanks Selma.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks Tracy, it really is something we need to keep 'out there' and not to be afraid to talk about it

          Delete
      14. I'm amazed at your perfect, beautiful squares. I can't even pick a favorite as they are all so lovely.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You are very generous. I see many faults but do not mind as I think this CAL is more about hope and community so I'm not going to be fixated by preciseness this time x

          Delete
      15. What a wonderful way to honour someone special. Your squares are knit so well - I really like that popcorn stitch.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you I do love to crochet and the popcorn stitch was so much fun to create Lorrie x

          Delete
      16. what a lovely way to remember someone x your squares are beautiful x

        ReplyDelete
      17. What a lovely idea in her memory. you look like you will end up learning lots of new stitches by the end of the CAL. I look forward to seeing the finished project. B x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Already learning lots Barbara, I'm loving it x

          Delete
      18. A wonderful post and tribute to Wink! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you are having a good weekend. Sorry to be late visiting, I have been otherwise occupied as I said in my post. xx

        ReplyDelete
      19. You have written a touching and beautiful post about Wink and the horrible state of her depression. I have close family members who suffer from it and I know just how horrible it can be. She was in such a dark place, I only wish she could have waited until a wee bit of light filtered in.
        Thank you for this post,
        Meredith

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Oh Metedith I couldn't agree more but it wasn't to be. Hope light shines through for your family. Sending love x

          Delete
      20. You made amazing crochet. Memories last forever.

        ReplyDelete
      21. Such a lovely tribute. And your work is lovely. You make me want to learn to crochet.

        ReplyDelete
      22. You are a lovely person and you touched my heart with this post. I shall be more diligent in counting my blessings.

        ReplyDelete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...