• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Inspiration, inspiration, inspiration

      January 14th 

      They say location, location, location but I say inspiration, inspiration, inspiration.  Today I have sourced five inspiring finds that I share with you in hope that it sets off a spark and inspires...


      Wherever we look these days, certainly in the UK there is talk of mindfulness and the benefits of living in the moment.  Something that is becoming increasingly hard in this fast paced world we live in and we should take a little more down time and refresh our brain.  Hence this year's big seller at Christmas were colouring books for adults.  Did you get one?  Did you buy any as gifts?  The talented duo of Kay and Ann over at Mason Dixon Knitting came up with the genius idea of creating a book for knitters. Hit the link and have a look.

      Colouring for knitters

      In case you are interested here are a few free sheets to down load for mindfulness colouring though not specially for knitters or crafters... Mindful colouring


      Instagram as I have mentioned many times is a source full of inspiration, it's fabulous and someone I have been following for a while is Sam over at Sam She has an innocent charm to her drawing and draws mostly on beach stones.  Often making a collection and putting them together in little bags as story prompts.  A wonderful gift and idea for little ones.  Just take a look.  It wouldn't be difficult to create this for yourself and a small person in your life, or even just to sit on your own desk, no, no, no, I wouldn't do that, would I?
       
      
      Sam is now branching into producing colouring sheets
      


      
      Perfect blend of nature and man made
      


      
      Sam is known for making story stones.  A set of stones to
      create your own stories with, how great an idea is this
      


      
      There are stones for all occasions, look a Christmas set...
      


      Continuing the theme of colouring and beaches look what Barbara has been up to...
       
      Using a sharpie pen and shells
       
      Clever use of a single colour, Sharpie pen and shells she collected from the beach. She has somehow created almost a Ming dynasty of shells.  This wonderful picture was shared on the Facebook page Darn Good Yarn Lots of inspiring things happen over on that page too.
       
       
      And finally, although I mention them a lot, they are Norwegian after all, I need to remind you about Arne & Carlos.  My first post about them can be found here and a perfect post for Spring makes can be found here These knitters extraordinaire have now begun YouTube videos showing various makes, patterns and stitches.  Their latest share was the 96 stitch hat, its worth a look... video and pattern

      Wearing his 96 stitch hat

      As an odd little snippet, I thought I would share with you the latest trailer form Midsomer murders, this episode, as many others before is filmed in and around our market town and surrounding villages.  Can't wait to see the episode later this month, especially as we were in town the day of the bike race and saw the filming...   Midsomer Murders Trailer

      Joining in with Amy  today sharing five inspiring things with you. 
      Pop over and see what everyone else is sharing.

        Hoping this post fills you with inspiration,
      what are you crafting these days, can you inspire me back?  

      Thank you for all your comments, I read every one and always always reply back. 
      I love the communication that blogging brings...

      48 comments:

      1. How exciting, Midsomer Murders.
        Very nice five, those painted rocks are so sweet.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I love the painted stones and I keep saying to myself I must have a go. I'm hoping this year I will. Watch this space Tracy...

          Delete
      2. Those shells are beautiful Selma. I adore the Arne and Carlos designs. A little too difficult for me at the moment but maybe in time I could manage one. I'm currently busy making my second ever pair of socks. Much love. X

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Jules how exciting about the socks. Were you like me enticed in by Christine of Winwick mum? Her pattern is so easy and the group are really encouraging to each other ...

          Delete
      3. I got loads of Amazon vouchers for Christmas/Birthday, so I bought myself a colouring book and some pens :) I haven't actually touched them yet because I'm still knitting socks like a maniac and I just made a HitchHiker scarf and loved it and want to make more. I need three pairs of hands!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ooh Shelagh I really want to make the hitchhiker too but as you say. Not enough hands or time...

          Delete
      4. What a wonderful collection of inspiring ideas. I used to paint on stones years ago but I think I love the shells better!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ooh give the shells a go. I love that she's done them just in one colour. Makes them look elegant I think

          Delete
      5. Lots of great ideas thank you. I particularly love the shells. I am still knitting away at my socks, although it may be time to branch out onto mittens. Do you know of any easy patterns. Have a great weekend. Barbara X

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Yes Barbara I should be branching into mittens too. Will check with my knitting mother and cousin and get back to you. Hope by end of next week if that's ok?

          Delete
      6. Some interesting and colourful things to get us going! I've never heard of a sharpie pen before. People have some great ideas don't they. x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Karen sharpie pens are brilliant. I use them all the time. You need to source yourself some. They are not the cheapest of pens and are permanent colours but come in a wonderful array... Treat yourself

          Delete
      7. Inspirational indeed, I loved the idea of story stones something that I am going to explore and do for my Grandchildren.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Your grandchildren (and you) will love it. Let me know what you do.

          Delete
      8. Lots of good ideas here for taking time out to do something creative. Our daughter was given a book of postcards as a Christmas gift to colour in which she's started by using them as thank you notes. I like to spot the places I recognise where episodes of Midsomer Murders have been filmed. Thanks for the clip. Exciting for you to have seen the filming of the cycle race!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Postcards as thank guys are a great idea. I've been very remiss and not got round to mine yet. Must get off my backside to write mine. Thanks for the reminder.

          Delete
      9. Thank you for the really inspiring ideas!
        Oh, you live in a very beautiful area. The episodes of "Midsomer Murders" have been filmed in really spectacular places! (Wonderful gardens, for example.) Actors are great too, only the murders are a little bit too bizarre for my taste. :)
        Have a lovely weekend!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Yes some people have amazing gardens around here. We do live in a wonderful part of the world Sara

          Delete
      10. What lovely things you have shared with us, no wonder they have inspired you. I always enjoy sitting down for a couple of hours with a Midsomer Murder or two - look forward to seeing the one you mention:)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I think it's o around the 27th of Jan here in the UK if that helps Rosie...

          Delete
      11. I love the colouring books, pickle has some and I find myself doing them instead. Have a nice weekendxx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Hehehe I can understand that Michelle. Do you start them together and she wonders off and you carry on? I remember colouring in for hours sat next to my mother. Good memories

          Delete
      12. Hello dear Selma, you have shared such inspiring ideas today. I love the story stones; a great gift idea for the little ones. And thank you for the links, too. I hope you have a great weekend. Hugs, Pat

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. You are welcome Pat. Hope you get time to dip in and look at them. Have a lovely weekend yourself x

          Delete
      13. I've not really understood the colouring book craze, doesn't particularly appeal to me although I can see why other people are enjoying it. I did buy one for my daughter's birthday which was on Monday but she's 10.

        I love those story stones, what a sweet idea. The shells look lovely too

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Evelyn I understand what you are saying. I've not sat down for cough cough, a couple of decades!!! To colour in but can see how you would be able to switch off from the world and colour 'mindlessly' away. Taking time out. Of course there are many other ways to do that too. X

          Delete
      14. What an inspirational Five! I can't get those shells out of my head, and I do happen to have quite a lot of shells (for a grown-up) so perhaps I need to go out and buy a Sharpie at the weekend... thank you for sharing. x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Ooh yes go buy. But. But. And then share your results. Am so keen to see someone else give them a try. I'm sure it can't be that easy. Please let me know. Soooo glad you are inspired.

          Delete
      15. What a fun Five on Friday post! I have the Mason Dixon colouring book and am hoping to start in it this weekend. I am a big Arne and Carlos fan, so will have to have a look at their YouTube site. I'm also a huge Midsomer Murders fan. How exciting to live near where they film. Although, I must say it's a good thing the show is fictional or you might be in grave danger. :-)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Now Kristie, I hadn't thought of that. We live in a house ideal for a plot for the show as you say. Glad it's a show as maybe we would be next... Eek!!!! Let me know how you get on with the colouring book. Keen to hear...

          Delete
      16. Great inspiration! I like a bit of grown up colouring I have to say. The blue and white shells especially caught my eye, they are wonderful aren't they. Yes, you are right in MM country, but I am glad that you don't actually have so many murders!! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. Happy Weekend! xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I'm glad I'm not either Amy. Have a great weekend yourself xx. See you over at Sunlit Sunday x

          Delete
      17. Oh that is exciting about Midsummer murders. You have just reminded me to get my new colouring book out, I need to try it xx

        ReplyDelete
      18. I did buy by sister one as part of her Christmas present as far as I know she enjoys colouring it in . I bought a quilt & pens too for perfect colouring! Wow aren't those pebbles divine xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. My daughter was given a duvet to colour in in one year. She loved it. The markings washed out and then she had a whole new duvet to draw on again. Such fun Jo

          Delete
      19. Very cool post! Especially love those blue & white seashells! I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest, and just from nature itself. Sometimes too on the blogs someone will do a post much like yours, and there's always inspiration there! :-)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I love Pintest too Marie but have to limit myself to peeking only once in a while else that's all I would do. So much insoiration there x

          Delete
      20. Boy there are some amazingly talented folks out there! Love the story stone idea! Sam does a great job - so cool! Thanks for some fun creative inspiration. ;) Blessings on the rest of your weekend. Xoxo

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thanks Carrie, you're so kind. I agree Sam is amazing. I'm definitely going to try some this year x

          Delete
      21. Such talent in our world, isn't there?! I love those painted stones. I have been meaning to make some for my kindergarten classroom as an inspiration for story-writing. I must get on that soon!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Bronwyn they would be perfect in a kindergarten class. Just think if the stories the small people could come up with. You so must do it and let us know the results.

          Delete
      22. We don't usually watch Midsomer Murders, but I caught a glimpse of one recently and thought I recognised where it was. Very exciting for you to have seen them filming. I have to watch the next one now! Great inspirational ideas!
        Barbara xx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Glad to have inspired Barbara and I feel very lucky to live where I do x

          Delete
      23. Thank you for all the inspiration. I did give a few of those books as presents but have yet to get one for myself.
        Hugs,
        Meredith

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Down load some of the pages in the link Meredith and have a go! Hope you have a relaxing week x

          Delete
      24. Wow, some of that colouring is beautiful and truly an art form. Somehow colouring doesn't do it justice. Have a fab week

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I agree Stephanie. Hope you had a fab week too x

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...