• Home
  • About
    • Crochet
    • Knitting
    • Baking
    • Christmas posts
    • Sailing & Travel

      Scandinavian Christmas baking 7 ~ Lemon almond cookies

      Lemon Almond Cookies
      December 20th    

      Today I bring the 7th and last bake of cookies in the run up to Christmas.  I have so enjoyed this year trying out new 'små kjekks' for the traditional 7 bakes of a Norwegian Christmas and have found some new favourites.  It's lovely to have such a selection now to choose from each year.  Here you can find a link to each of the other 6 bakes for 2017:   1 Pepperkaker  2 Hvite Pepperkaker    3 Julecookies    4 Juliga Kolasnittar   5 Havreflarn Cookies   6 Bordstabelbakkels  For previous years bakes visit the drop down heading on the home page and click on Christmas posts.


      All 7 cookies baked for Christmas in true Norwegian tradition


      Lemon almond cookies,
      photo from Trine's Mat blog

      The 7th cookie today comes from the talented Danish cook Trine In this cookie recipe  almonds, a favourite of any Norwegian cook is used but the twist with these is that she adds lemon zest to give the cookie an entirely different flavour and feel.  Not so typically Christmas in taste, yet, I found the lemon took away the almost too sweet taste that an almond cookie can have, try this as something different, I would be surprised if you did not like this.  For Trine's original recipe and how the cookies should look, I urge you to visit her page:  here




      Ingredients for Lemon almond cookies
      Lemon Almond Cookies
      You will need:

      ♥  175g ground almonds
        175g sugar
      ♥  1-2 lemon zest
      ♥  1 tbsp plain flour
        1/2 tsp baking powder
        2 egg whites
        icing sugar for decorating, optional

      1  Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius

      2  Mix the almonds, lemon zest and sugar thoroughly.

      3  Add the sieved flour and baking powder and mix well.
      You can see the mixture here is
      lumpy and I think over whisked

      4  In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites so they are only just stiff, DO NOT OVER WHISK ~ I over whisked and think that is why my cookies did not spread out well on the baking tray and were difficult to pipe!  More on this in a minute. 

      5  Add the egg whites carefully into the almond mixture until you have a smooth and soft mixture.  Mine was a little stiff and I suspect because I over whisked.

      6  Put the mixture into a piping bag and place small drops on a lined baking tray leaving a good space between each cookie 'drop' to allow them to spread.  You should be able to get between 10-14 on each tray.

      The cookies in the foreground have been
      squished half way through baking whilst
      those at the back show what they looked like
      before I squished them!
      7  Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until they are a lovely golden colour. NOTE:  As my mixture was a little too stiff halfway through baking I could see they had now spread out as expected so I took them out of the oven and squished them with a palette knife to the desired cookie depth and width. 
       It is important that they are not over baked, the cookies should be still soft inside.

      8  You can decorate the cookies with some drizzled icing sugar and let them rest for a few minutes on the baking tray before transferring them onto a wire rack for complete cooling.  Moving them immediately from the baking tray could result in broken cookies as they will be very soft.

      9  Place in an airtight box until needed.



      Lemon almond cookies, not as pretty as they could
      be but worth making as the taste is amazing. 
      I am adding these to my must make each year list



      Trine's lemon almond cookie, mine will
      look like this next time, I must remember
      not to over whisk the egg whites!


      Feeling festive and ready. 
      All the  pre baking is now complete
       
      The 7 Norwegian Christmas cookies for 2017
         
      In the cup are caramel cuts, to the right are table stacking cookies,
      tied in string are oat cookies, in the middle are the cranberry
      and almond cookies, to the left are the lemon almond cookies,
      in front of those, the dark hearts are pepperkaker and to the
      side, the paler hearts are the white pepperkaker. 
      All 7 cookies for Christmas ♥


       In case I do not pop back to eclecetichomelife before Christmas as there are still many more things I wish to do in 'real' life that I may not have time.  It has been such fun sharing my December journey with you and hope you have enjoyed it as much as I.

        I wish you all the warmth, health and happiness 
      in the world my friends, 

        Merry Christmas & God Jul 

      16 comments:

      1. Happy Christmas to you! It has been loving reading again about your Norwegian and English Christmas traditions and your lovely cookies too of course! Hope you have a great time with your family and friends and that the new year brings good things your way. xx

        ReplyDelete
      2. These look very interesting, Selma; good thing I bought three lemons the other day! I have only made two types of shortbread so far, so had best get cracking, eh? Thanks for all the lovely posts again; it's SO good to have you back and I do hope you do a crochet class again. No pressure, right? lol I wish you and your family, and especially your Mum, a wonderful Christmas and a New Year full of Love, Peace, Joy and Inspiration. Love and Light to you. ~ Linne of A Random Harvest

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. These cookies ended up being many people's favourite, so I will have to make them next year too! Did you manage to make them?

          Delete
      3. I've really enjoyed all your Christmas posts, especially the baking ones. Thank you so much for all the trouble you've gone to. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and new Year :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Shelagh, it's been lovely receiving your kind comments, hope Christmas was wonderful for you too x

          Delete
      4. Yum. Those cookies look so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Merry Christmas and God Jul to you, too.

        ReplyDelete
      5. Have a brilliant Christmas and New Year. I wonder if we'll be waiting until next December before we'll see you again! Hopefully not x

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I've posted again today on the 29th Karen!!!! Hoping to be more here than absent in 2018, fingers crossed.+

          Delete
      6. I've really enjoyed your Jul posts this year, thank you so much Have a Happy and Peaceful Christmas Xxx

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Maura, it's been loving having you to visit x

          Delete
      7. Beautiful looking cookies, if I have time I may give the recipe a try. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the new year.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Lorraine, sending you lots of love, did you give these a try?

          Delete
      8. As always, such lovely posts Selma. I have enjoyed reading them. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours. X

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you Jules, when I was contemplating writing posts every day this year I thought of you and felt I had too! Sending you and yours love x

          Delete

      I will always read all comments and will try to reply but it may take me a couple of days, do please pop back and lets get a conversation going...